Saturday, April 02, 2016

March Reading Report

UntitledUntitled

What I read in March. Not pictured: Ella of All of a Kind Family by Sydney Taylor, and Devonshire Scream By Laura Childs (a tea shop mystery and a totally frivolous read for me). Both read on my Kindle.

  • Fervent by Priscilla Shirer was good. Worth re-reading good. I read through it faster than she intended and I'm hoping to go through it again soon in the near future. 
  • All the Light We Cannot See was absolutely beautifully written. Painful at times because of the WWII subject matter but never gratuitously or sensationally. Anthony Doerr has a gift with words and I would like to read more of him sometime. 
  • All of a Kind Family Uptown and Ella of All of a Kind Family were two of our read-alouds. The girls talked me into finishing the series together and I'm glad we did. I enjoyed them both with the caveat that Ella is comparable to the older, high school Betsy-Tacy books. Not inappropriate in any way, but would probably be enjoyed more by a middle school girl. 
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne was my April bookclub choice for a Facebook group that I'm part of with local friends. The challenge was to finish a book that you had abandoned and I don't know how many times I tried reading this as a kid and set it aside. I did managed to make it to the end (and then realized I was reading an abridged edition to boot), and enjoyed the adventure of it. Not so much like the movie version which our family enjoys but a fun read just the same. 
  • The 100 Cupboards series by N.D. Wilson. In that same April theme I decided to go ahead and finish this series. I had read book 1 before, had never finished book 2 for some reason, and 3 is sitting on a shelf forever untouched. I'm halfway through book 2 now and have got some momentum going so I don't think I'll abandon it this go round. Thanks to the Read Aloud Revival podcast and Carolyn from A House Full of Bookworms (episode 41 specifically) for reminding me of this series. 
  • that same podcast episode is the same reason I picked up The Sword Bearer by John White. This is book one in the Archives of Anthropos. As a kid I had only read the third book, The Tower of Geburah, and never knew there was a whole series! I'm making up for lost time and passing them on to the kids. 

On to April! Several books are in my currently reading pile: Own Your Life and The Life Giving Home by Sally Clarkson, as well as Dandelion Fire (book 2 in the 100 Cupboards series). We are also about two chapters away from finishing Danny, the Champion of the World by Roald Dahl and contemplating our next read aloud. Always a tough decision when there are so many good choices. :)

Starting a new read aloud today and attempting to read outside! (Historically this doesn't work well for us but I bought Popsicles that will hopefully hold their attention!) Danny, the Champion of the World by Roald Dahl. This one is new to all of us and

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked All the Light! We have the 100 Cupboards (or at least the first two in the series) around in someone's bookshelf but I haven't read it. I also figured out why I have a hard time commenting sometimes—related to my eleventy-million gmail accounts (ironic since none of them are my primary email)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love so many of these! Especially All the Light and The Sword Bearer. We'd love for you to link up this post with the Literacy Musing Mondays Linkup if you're interested! You can find it at http://pagesandmargins.wordpress.com/2016/04/03/literacy-musing-mondays-until-my-son-learns-how-to-read/. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Anthony Doerr - great coice!
    Thanks,
    Bren+Lucy
    personal life coaching

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...