Friday, June 13, 2014

Currently :: June

Loving :: a Friday at home. We have had a busy week with Tuesday-Thursday spent at our local Classical Conversations Practicum. Encouraging, inspiring, educational and all that jazz. Lots of good conversations with like-minded mama friends ... some I know well and some I want to know more now!

Thinking :: of what needs to be done next. The practicum is wonderful, and it seems like such a little thing to be gone for three days, but it adds up. Laundry must caught up. The things that we came in and dropped each evening need to find homes and rooms need tidying. A grocery list needs to be made for the weekend.

Eating :: salads, berries with Greek yogurt, asparagus. Trying to make the most of summer produce. I won't lie - I would absolutely love a Big Mac right now. : ) 

Enjoying :: That school is done! Grades are turned in and I've packed up (most of) our 2013-2014 materials. Learning will still take place this summer and we're going to move into that routine next week. Multiplication fact drilling for two girls; addition and subtraction fact drilling for one; copywork (the book of Romans) for all. And LOTS of reading. 

Making :: phone calls. A potentially big project is on the horizon and it's starting with phone calls. 

Plotting :: a birthday/Father's Day lunch for Sunday. Taking my inspiration from this episode of the Pioneer Woman's show (recently watched on a rare moment on the treadmill). 

Struggling :: with the to-do list v. the time to get it done list. 

Savoring :: summer evenings outside. The last few days the bulk of our outside playtime has been after dinner. The sun is going down and friends are home for the evening and there has been many a wild and crazy gang of kickball out in the culdesac. We have a great group of kids in our neighborhood, and they have a lot of fun playing together. We are thankful.

Celebrating :: Travis' birthday this week. Dinner with our small group friends on Tuesday night, hanging out as a family on Thursday (the actual birthday), and a family birthday lunch on Sunday. He's worth celebrating multiple days. : ) 

Reading :: the list is growing long, but actually checking them off has been tricky! (Typical summer overambitious reading plans...) Of late, I've finished:


- I can't decide if I liked this one or not. I wanted to finish it to see how it ended, but whether I'll pass it on to the girls or put it in the pile to get rid of is undecided.
iPhone Only Photography, David Molnar
- this was a book I was sent to review and it is packed full of little tricks and tips on how to use your iPhone to its full potential as a camera and tool. I was impressed! One of these days when I don't have so many things to haul with me I'll shoot more with my big camera. In the meantime, I really am so thankful for the fantastic camera that my phone has that has allowed me to capture my children and our memories. 
The Water Castle, Megan Frazer Blakemore 
- loved this one! This is by the same author that wrote The Spycatchers of Maple Hill (review) and it was just as good. 

In process or to be started:
The Question, by Leigh Bortins
- would like to participate in Amy's read along of this one this summer, but it's the first week and I'm already behind! I've started it at least!
King Solomon's Mines, by Henry Rider Haggard
- for the Reading to Know bookclub
Many, many other books in my pile!

Photographing :: pool pics. Love watching them have fun and wear themselves out.

It's her summer to grow in confidence in the water.

06'01'2014b

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting!

One of my goals this year has been to diversify my reading. As I've spent the last 17 years homeschooling anywhere from 1-4 kids, I woul...